Brandon Newlin

My life.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

All School

Things have finally started here at Wheaton. There's only so much orientation a person can take, especially after all the "excitement" surrounding the incoming freshman and the start of the new year.

A few of the activities would probably stun most people and make others cry, but I guess since it's been done for a while and is a tradition, people don't frown on it anymore. The most interesting (and barbaric) ritual I've witnessed involved the entire freshman class standing in front of the rest of the student body. Although the set-up may sound vaguely formal, the upperclassmen were all wearing the most ridiculous costumes they could come up with. A few notable costumes involved speedos and saran wrap, pirates' outfits, body paint, and even some fake blood. The ceremony consisted of the upperclassmen screaming at the top of their collective lungs for almost an hour while throwing tennis balls and toilet paper at the freshman. If it doesn't sound like it makes much sense, then you're probably on the same page with me. Especially with all-school communion right after.

As much as the screaming and costumes were distracting, the service after was a tremendous gathering of over 2000 students in corporate worship. To sing out with one collective voice was amazing and a great way to start of the year with a Christ-focused mindset.

Of course, some of that comes crashing down when immediately outside of the chapel, after we were dismissed, three of the football players were standing, wearing nothing but jock-straps. I'm not kidding. Not only was it an inappropriate outfit (anyone who's seen a jock-strap would know) but it really got me to thinking about how it's so easy to turn our worship on and off. The transition from the taking of communion, a sacred part of the Christian life, to chuckling as three nearly naked guys were humiliated was almost seamless. I guess I have a lot to learn about myself and Wheaton and the essence of true communal worship.

That's all for now. I still have some books to buy and dinner to eat, plus Hyacks (High School youths adoring Christ our King) at College Church tonight. I'll go over my classes and other interesting happenings in the days to come.

4 Comments:

At 3:10 PM, Blogger David said...

Excellent post, my friend. I urge you to keep up this blog as it will be both informational (so we can pray for you and know how to encourage you) and edifying. Your thoughts on worship were convicting. I look forward to checking back regularly!

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger somebody,somewhere said...

Brandon, I am SO ADDICTED to blogging - THANKS ALOT - I sure was missing your "run" posts daily this summer, you are now right on my toolbar, and I will check in daily - you can check out ours too! I had the 5th & 6th graders in SS this past week - gave them a test on the 10 commandments since you had worked on that this summer - they did pretty decent - I actally need your address, they want me to send them to you! :) Pray for me, I think I will take on the Jr. Highers in Sunday School - should be an adventure! :) Love & Prayers from the Ryes :)

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger somebody,somewhere said...

p.s., Pastor says I should tell you that your blog ocnvicted me - I had just sent the girls off to church, and I was going to stay home and get some work done, but your post about worship reminded me of where I SHOULD be rather than home on the computer, so I went to church and sat in on Youth Group - much more edifying than my computer! :) Thanks!

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger Ana said...

I agree with jourdan, I would not like to be a freshman...I am glad to hear that everything is going good though. Youthgroup was different, but very good. Have a good day, or two :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home