Brandon Newlin

My life.

Thursday, October 05, 2006

A flood of stuff

Today has been an interesting week.

To sum it all up would be impossible, but I'll try to do my best. I'm really tired right now, but I've been feeling progressively better about everything. Things have happened so fast. I can't believe I was at a conference only 4 days ago in Minnesota. I'm not even in my own room now.

The flood on Monday night was intense. It rained for a few hours straight, with some measurements of 5 inches in just one hour. This led to a collection of pools all over campus, including right in front of my building. The "lake" was about 2 feet deep and was a ton of fun to play in, even with the lightning flashing every few minutes (yes, it was stupid, but it was fun (kids, don't try this at home)). I ran and slid around in the downpour for about an hour before going back inside and hearing shouts of "the basement is flooding." This would be such a big deal if my room wasn't in the basement. The water from our lake quickly rushed in the downstairs windows and made it's way throughout the rooms. Nothing of mine was damaged, but others on the floor weren't so lucky. After making sure everything was out of reach of the water and having nothing better to do, I went back outside to a campus parking lot where at least 30 cars were filled with water up over the seats. The owners could only look on in dismay. A couple of them had there keys with them, so a few of us helped them push there cars from one area of the lot to higher ground. It was actually a lot of fun and probably helped their cars out quite a bit. I was worn out after that, so I went back into the pitch dark (power outage) lounge and fell asleep in my sleeping bag on a couch.

I woke up the next morning to some beautiful sunshine and a putrid smell coming up from the basement. Throughout the day we moved our stuff up to our new home in the first floor lounge, where we have move in with another room to for the only sextuple room on campus. Things are a bit cramped, but we're adapting. Because of the water damage and possible mold, we'll probably end up together until next semester while they tear out/replace the dry wall and carpet and make the place liveable again.

Our former floor has been spread out all across campus, and we're calling ourselves the diaspora in exile from our promised dungeon. The biblical motifs are endless, with the flood and being separated and everything.

Overall, it's been a great experience, and I've really grown closer to the rest of our guys through it.

That's all I have for now because sleep beckons.

Good night

1 Comments:

At 3:05 PM, Blogger somebody,somewhere said...

o.k., just cuz you visited doesn't mean you can stop blogging - your college adventures aren't qite as riveting as running across the US, but still looked forward to :) Hope your trip home went well :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home